Job Title: Switchyard Pizza Kitchen Prep Cook
Location: Switchyard Brewing Company (419 N Walnut St, Bloomington, Ind. 47404)
Base Pay: $15/hr for the first 90 days, eligible for benefits and $16.50 / hr after 90 day probationary period. After 1 year of service, pay increases to $18/hr followed by yearly salary increases and profit sharing.
Do you feel passionate about cooking? Do you enjoy working effectively as part of a team? Do you take pride in being consistent and following recipes? Do you love to learn and take direction with a smile?
If you answered yes to these, you should apply to be a part of our team! Our part-time prep cooks are responsible for delivering the Switchyard experience to all guests through cleaning, food prep, baking, boxing, and plating. This is a great opportunity for someone that is willing to do whatever needs to get done, and really enjoys working with food and people!
Our kitchen is a fun, fast-paced environment. All Pizza Kitchen staff reports to the Assistant Hospitality Director.
For Part-Time Switchyard Pizza Kitchen Pizza Slingers – Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays are the biggest days of the week, so weekend hours are required for this position.
For Part-Time Switchyard Pizza Kitchen Morning Prep – morning availability throughout the week is required
Successful Candidates will have the following Personal Characteristics:
- Passionate about great food and great service
- Passionate about great food and great service
- Self-motivated and remains calm, especially under pressure
- High level of integrity and honesty
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Flexible and hardworking
- Energetic and Enthusiastic
- Committed to their own professional and personal development
- Desire to constantly learn and be challenged
- Systems-driven, excited about continuous improvement and waste elimination
- Not afraid to get dirty and work hard
OUR PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS ARE:
- Prepares food according to our recipes – accurately and under pressure
- Arrives on time for all shifts, meetings and classes
- Prepares food according to prep list
- Efficiently & accurately cleans equipment
- Follows and upholds all of Switchyard’s standards.
- Ability to participate in team-oriented problem solving
- Ensures that all food meets quality and presentation standards.
- Completes Training Passport within the stated timeframes and continues to live the Training Compact.
- Maintains proper station set up and a pristine work area
- Effectively communicates and works with all staff at Switchyard
- Maintains positive and consistent energy and productivity standards throughout the entire shift.
- Stooping, Kneeling, and Crouching: Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist, requiring full use of the lower extremities and back muscles
- Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or otherwise working with hand or hands.
- Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction
- Near Vision: Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less
- Lifting: Raising or lowering an object, at least 50 lbs, from one level to another (includes upward pulling)
- Carrying: Transporting an object, up to 65 lbs, usually holding it in the hands or arms, or on the shoulder
- Standing: Remaining on one’s feet in an upright position at a workstation without moving about for an extended period of time
- Feeling: Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature, or texture, by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips
- Attends weekly Huddles and occasional/scheduled meetings
- Participates in other projects and committees as needed
- Participates in yearly growth/continuing education
The Success Patterns for this position are:
- Experience working in food service is a plus
- Ability to work weekends and holidays
- Has a flexible schedule with an ability to work shifts on a variable basis
- Is able to follow directions in the moment, under time pressure, with a smile
- Demonstrated ability to understand organized systems and work in an organized workspace
- Can work long shifts that require standing/walking/bending throughout shift
- Has excellent communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a physically demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively manage their emotions in the workplace.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism regarding job performance.
- Excellent attendance and punctuality
- Has reliable transportation to and from work
- For pizza slingers – Must be able to work nights and weekends
- Morning prep – must be able to work mornings in a independent, self-directed work environment
In August of 2021, we made the decision to convert to a 100% tip-free environment. Switchyard believes businesses should be responsible for their workers’ wages, not the whim of the customer. Our coworkers deserve a living wage they can count on. Besides, tipping is unfair, sexist, rooted in discrimination, incentivizes poor scheduling practices, and just isn’t reliable. Read more about why we stopped accepting tips in our taproom here.
Full-time coworkers enjoy Unlimited Vacation. Unlimited vacation time helps us achieve our work-life balance by supporting personal well-being through time with family and friends.
Full-time coworkers are eligible for a yearly travel stipend to use in conjunction with a planned vacation
PAID PARENTAL LEAVE
We are a family business and believe strongly in both parents being given the opportunity to start their family bond from birth. We provide one month of paid parental leave, including adoption leave.
COWORKER MEALS AND DISCOUNTS
Coworkers receive a shift meal during or after their shift and receive 30% off the posted menu price on food and discounted beer, including a complimentary weekly growler fill-up.
COWORKER SHIFT BEER
A hard day’s work is deserving of a cold beer! Coworkers 21+ are welcome to a pint on the house after their shift.
All Switchyard coworkers, regardless of work location complete paid training prior to starting in their individual roles. Get paid to learn about and taste beer, wine, and pizza – awesome!
MEDICAL, DENTAL, VISION INSURANCE, URGENT CARE & MENTAL HEALTH BENEFITS
Switchyard provides every coworker a free, unlimited urgent care and mental health benefit starting on the 90th day of employment.
For full-time coworkers, Switchyard provides and contributes to their healthcare/vision/dental premiums.
PAID TIME OFF & VOLUNTEER-PAID TIME OFF
Part-time coworkers can earn V-PTO (Volunteer Paid Time Off) by participating in volunteer efforts throughout our community. Two hours of volunteer time equals one hour of VPTO.
Since we are tip-free, all of our Part-Time staff are able to enjoy Paid Time Off, which 30 hours are front-loaded and available after 90 days of service.
COWORKER OUTINGS & GET-TOGETHERS
We work hard together and love to foster our relationships by playing together too! You can look forward to an annual boat day, camping trip, canoeing, movie and game nights, and baseball/football tailgates!